Mother's Day

I researched the history and origins of the popular Hallmark holiday Mother's Day, and found some interesting information about it.  It was started by a West Virginia women's community organizer named Ann Reeves Jarvis in order to improve sanitary conditions and lower infant mortality rates.  After her death, her daughter Anna began celebrating a special day to honor mothers--her mother, specifically--and thank them for all they had done for their children.  It mushroomed out of proportion to her original intentions and was officially declared a national holiday by president Woodrow Wilson in 1914, to be celebrated the 2nd Sunday in May.

Although it's commercialized, I'm for any excuse to get together with family.  The best I could do way over here in Colorado, so far away from my kids and the rest of the family (my sister, my sisters-in-law, mother-in-law, etc. who are all out of state), is speak to all my kids, and 3 of my grandkids.  My kids sent me last week (it came early) an earrings and necklace set, below.

                                              





Then we tried to go out to a Mother's Day Brunch.  And this is what happened.


                                          

The wait staff knocked over my free Mimosa all over my plate of food and...me.  After we went home to change, we went for a ride to the mountains in our new Snobaru.

                                                           





The bottom one isn't our car.  It's a photo from the Subaru website.  I have a nasty cold, using up all the tissues in the house.  Thank you, kids, for your love (and your gift.). I miss you so much...
All in all, a good day.  Happy Mother's Day!

Comments

Batya said…
gorgeous necklace
We never celebrated Mother's Day. My mother's birthday is May 14 (and I forgot to get her a card or call her... oops!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Debate: Is it Itsy Bitsy, or Inky Dinky, of Spider Fame?

The End. Is there a Beginning...?

Some Recent Israeli Accomplishments in her 67 Years: Independence Day 2015