Back From Israel...Purim in New York

I can't believe we did this, but there was no alternative.  We left Israel two days before Purim. Incredible. Unbelievable.  Actually, there was an alternative: we could have spent Purim in Israel, and left on Shushan Purim, which was Friday, erev Shabbat--at one in the morning--and taken a chance that a) the flight would come in on time, and b) that we wouldn't be punch-drunk and jet-lagged for Shabbat and my niece's wedding motzai Shabbat.  Oh yes, and c) that El Al wouldn't accidentally lose our luggage with us going right into Shabbat, with no clothes...

In short, too many safeks, so we left Israel before Purim, Tuesday at 1:00 a.m.  Still, to me, looking back, it's unbelievable.  We haven't spent a chag in Israel since we lived there from 1977-1981.  In 2005 I came right after Sukkot, when my son's sukkah was still up--so I saw it, went in, but it was too late for the mitzvah...

So we heard the first Megillah reading at Chabad Midtown Manhattan, and the second at the Carlebach shul on the West Side, where we also stayed for the Purim se'udah, complete with guitarist and singing, many of them Reb Shlomo niggunim.

We spent Shabbatot together with my son in Efrat, singing zemirot, and other Shabbatot with our daughter in Tel-Aviv, with my other son and his family visiting, singing zemirot.  It's supposed to last me until our next visit.  Or until we move there. Whichever comes first.

I'm posting a video of Reb Shlomo z"l singing.  Just 'cause I feel like it.  I miss Israel.  I miss my kids.  I miss my holidays in Israel with my kids.  That about sums it up.

Comments

Batya said…
G-d willing, your aliyah will be soon.
and refuah shleimah to your daughter

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Debate: Is it Itsy Bitsy, or Inky Dinky, of Spider Fame?

The End. Is there a Beginning...?

Some Recent Israeli Accomplishments in her 67 Years: Independence Day 2015