Shavuot Is Coming, and I'm HUNGRY.


I'm also on a diet. I am half-heartedly trying to lose x number of pounds (kilos, for my Israeli friends and family. Actually, my weight sounds a lot better in kilos. . . ).
I say "half-heartedly," not because my heart isn't in it--it is--but rather because (על חטא שחטאתי לפניך...) I enjoy food. And also eating it. I'm not a gourmet, but probably (alas) more of a. . . gourmand. I said it. And now the whole world knows (or, only that tiny little portion who reads this blog; not so bad, really. . . )

And to my utter dismay, just when I am finally back down to where I was just before Pesach, of all things--Shavuot has to come up. All of a sudden! You'd think that I'd be prepared, I've been counting the Omer so diligently since Pesach-yes, with a bracha (-eat yer hearts out) But I'm not.
I am not prepared to pass over (heh heh, 'pass over,' get it?) cheese cake and spinach cheese quiche and milchig noodle kugel and ice cream with fruit. NO NO NO NO!

My hubby is out of work, so he enjoys his leisure time (yeah, right, leisure time) cooking up a storm for Shabbatot and Chagim. This Shavuot we (the royal "we." It's probably going to be mainly "He." Just ask my kids...) will be making eggplant parmigiana, cheese kugel, and maybe I'll be brave and attempt a spinach quiche or two, and a cheese cake.

Yes, I am not forgetting the import of Shavuot: Z'man Matan Torateinu*, and it's agricultural counterpart, celebrating the first harvest-bringing the Bikurim* to the Beit HaMikdash*. These are the most important reasons of all.

But it just wouldn't be the same if say, all we had was chicken. Or worse, cholent. We will have one fleishig meal, though, now scheduled for the 2nd day lunch, on Shabbat. Last year we had four-count 'em-four milchig meals, and I didn't miss the meat at all.

I guess you could say that my "default" food is milchig. I just love it, and can't get enough of it (think: cottage cheese and agvaniyot* for breakfast)--although my gastrointestinal tract is not crazy about it lately. . .
Copy this URL in a browser to see a nice video about some customs-food and otherwise- for the holiday of Shavuot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejCKhhggRk.

And thanks also to Jacob Richman for his wonderful blog, Good News from Israel, for the link above and the following video. Chag Sameach.


(and, in other, unrelated matters: Mazal Tov to my daughter RAMBO for passing the Loren!!!)




Glossary:
Z'man Matan Torateinu= the time of the giving of the Torah
Bikurim=the offering of first fruits
Beit HaMikdash=the Holy Temple which was in Jerusalem
Agvaniyot=tomatoes



*Copyright alert: No infringement of any text or graphic copyright is ever intended on this blog. If you own the copyright to any original image or document used for the creation of the graphics or information on this site, please contact the blog administrator with all pertinent info so that proper credit can be given. If you wish to have it removed from the site, just say the word; it shall be, ASAP.

Comments

Shabbos Mevarchim Maven said…
Make that 2 fleishig meals. Your first one will be at our house Friday night! :)
Lady-Light said…
Shabbos Mevarchim Maven: Aha...yes, thank you. Interesting new user name you have; could it be...our minhag of every Shabbat Mevarchim? (It's our turn to host, really; soon, soon...)

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Debate: Is it Itsy Bitsy, or Inky Dinky, of Spider Fame?

The End. Is there a Beginning...?

Some Recent Israeli Accomplishments in her 67 Years: Independence Day 2015